Monday, July 27, 2015

"My rates are...."

     There has been a little thread on Facebook about photographers and models and rates. I have been modeling for almost a decade. I've spent hours learning how to perfect my make up, my hair, and to tone up my body. (I'm a thin girl so tone is my option, nothing against a curvy lady! I sadly have few curves unless I make them) I've spent way too much money on clothing and shoes. I've spent hours in front of the mirror learning what looks good on me and how to hold my body to get the best possible pose. I've spent hours scouting locations and trying to find the best spot for a shoot. Does that not equal into it when it comes to shooting with me?
             Ernst rice photography 

     Sometimes experience is worth something. I do understand that most photographers do this for a living and every shoot could be their dinner for a week. But I also have bills to pay and there are times I have to take off work because it's the best time for the photographer. I don't get paid hourly so if I'm not there that's a huge zero in my pocket book. I understand the hours that go into editing  and setting up/braking down. But I've noticed that most  photographers don't think about the four hours we spent on our make up or that I slept in my rollers last night to get the hair I have today. 

            Paul tanner photography 

     I don't charge to shoot with me. I work off a tfp (trade for print) situation. I think my experience should equal out for the rates the photographer would have charged for a lady with no experience. There are exceptions. If your providing hair mark up and wardrobe you should absolutely have rates and get paid. If I plan to work with those people I do plan to pay because they are doing almost all the work, and it's a lot of work! Plus those photographers who get published almost every photo like Shannon broke imaginary and Michelle x star, publication puts your face into the world and can get you (as a model) actual paying gigs with clothing companies, make up companies, ect. 

         Madison Hurley photography 

    My whole point is this, if you are a new model, you will probably need to pay. If your a new photographer and get an experienced model you may need to pay. But if the right communication goes down you can both walk away with beautiful photos that you can both be proud of. Take the models experience into consideration before you just throw rates at her/him.
    Xoxox ~Doris Night


All opinions are doris' only and do not reflect back on any of the other members of the Foul Play Cabaret. 


No comments:

Post a Comment